The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out. The worms are dying on my living room floor.
Haha! That wasn't the next line you were expecting I'll bet.
I started a compost bin (vermicomposting actually) in my condo living room. It's kind of big and the condo is kind of small, but we keep making room for the important things.
My cousin started vermicomposting in her small New York City apartment, so I thought "You know, I could do that too!"
So I convinced Joe that it would be a good idea and that we could use the dirt for his mint plant (to make mojitos of course). After he heard that it would help the mint, he was all in. I guess I forgot to tell him the bin would go in the living room. Opps. He's ok with it now, but did object a bit when the worms were escaping the bin through the air holes.
I got a text message just after I left for work that said, "You're going to need to figure something out for the worms. They're crawling out of the bin." So I texted back inquiring about how many? I had ordered 1,000 worms and was going to flip if they were all over my rug! Two hours later, I received his reply "5 or 6". That's not too bad, right?
I checked for escapees when I got home from work and found about 10 to 15 on the floor and in between the sheets of aluminum I was using as a floor protector. I had checked a few different web sites for advice and quickly found a great solution: put the bin (with worms and air holes) inside another bin with an egg carton between them for air. That way the bigger bin collects any liquid (and worms) that might drip from the bin with food-stuffs.
Yay! Worm situation resolved. Back to singing - Long slim slimy ones, short fat juicy ones, itsy, bitsy, fuzzy-wuzzy worms!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment