We're not allowed to have pets in our building but I don't know just how strict that rule is. I am often home long before Joe and want something more to take care of than just my plants.
I have potted herbs on my window sills and although some folks talk to their plants, we (the basil, oregano, cilantro, mint, lemon balm and I) do not have much to chat about. They would probably say that I am abusive, alternately drowning them and depriving them of water. I would reply that they haven't given me much to work with. However, the previous cilantro contracted aphids and this new cilantro is doing a much better job at defending itself. So you see, the plants and I well, we just tolorate each other.
While Joe and I were at the beach (Rehoboth Beach, DE) I bought two hermit crabs! They are adorable and I love to watch them crawl around. I bought what I thought would be the better of the two types of cages offered at the gift shop on the Boardwalk, only to return home, do some research on land dwelling hermit crabs and find that the other cage (little plastic carrying box) may have been the better choice.
It seems that these hermies love the tropics and that I need to make them a little tropical home. They are also burrowers and need sand or some sort of stuffs to dig through. They like to climb so they need things to climb on top of. They need water to bathe and drink (I'm pretty sure they use the drinking water to bathe and visa versa). Yuck! I'm glad I have my shower!
I have heard that they continue to grow if well cared for and can live for 15 years or more! Amazing! I had no idea what I had gotten myself into when I said "Aww... Joe look at them, they're so cute! Can I bring one home?" Which then I decided the one needed a friend - everyone needs a friend, so two little hermies went in to the cage.
The one climbed right up to the top of the cage in a snap. His name: Snap. The other is a little timid and frightens easily. His name: Snip.
And that is the story of how Snip and Snap came to live in our Shoebox. Pets? Hmmm...

3 comments:
LOL Your hermit crabs are cute!
I love snip and snap. That's awesome. Your bit about the plants cracked me up.
K
We had 2 hermit crabs...forever. They're cool. =)
Post a Comment